Friday, November 16, 2012

Japan XII: Open School

!Hello! My busiest week of work in Japan is now complete. Whew...

I haven't traveled anywhere in the past few weeks. I've been saving for a trip to Tokyo and Mt. Fuji in December. Instead, I've been hanging around Okayama and following my normal work routine...I won't be going anywhere this weekend either as it's pouring rain here today! I don't know why, but it seems like it always rains on Mondays or on the weekends in the morning here.

Today (Saturday) Hannah and I helped with Okayama High School's open school program. The open school was essentially for middle school students to come and see the high school, it's teachers and programs. I would say the open school was very similar to an elaborate, interactive open house at an American school. Unlike American schools, *I think* Japanese students can test into different high schools like how an American student can test into certain colleges via the ACT/SAT. Also, as another side note, this high school is a private school.

Hannah and I were in charge of doing two activities with the students (about 60 students at once!) with help from our high school students and Japanese English teachers. Essentially, we played Simon Says with the visiting middle schoolers and did an activity to learn different directions. Here's a picture of us with some of the high school helpers. They were sweet hearts! Unfortunately, Hannah and I forgot our cameras so one student offered to take a picture of us with his phone and email it to me.


It's hard to believe that as of this time next week, I will have one month left in Japan! I honestly wish I had more time here so my students could at least get to know me better. I also found out that an extra transfer has been added to my flight home...Instead of being able to fly straight to Columbus from LA, I have to go from LA to Atlanta and then from Atlanta to Columbus. Hopefully...Hopefully...I won't have any awful flight delays. My current flight itinerary has me scheduled to plant my feet on Columbus Airport's floor tiles and carpet at 11:20am on Christmas Eve.

More soon!

-J 

No comments:

Post a Comment